Monday, February 1, 2010

Mickey Party Planning - Take 4

54 days and the planning has not stopped! So I needed something for over the fireplace. Lets just say the wreaths I have that are pretty are my Christmas one, my Thanksgiving one, and my 4th of July one. So I REALLY needed something inexpensive, and CUTE! Everything I do is cute (at least I think so)! So this is a picture of what I made. I know it may not look like much from this picture, but you will get the big picture in a minute.



So I started off with these wire hoops. I got one big one (pictured below) and two a little bit smaller than that.



I used my cutting board, rotary cutter, and ruler thing (sorry I don't know what it is called, but it is the clear thing with yellow markings). I took the fabric and cut 1" x 7" strips. Each 1" strip cut 6 pieces of 1"x 7" fabric. So (2) 1" strips of 6 types of fabric did three sections on the wire.



Here is a close up of the very first section I tied on. It just turned out adorable. Now to get the two smaller hoops to stay on, I used the floral wire to connect them at a joint. I should have taken a picture, but I guess I can still take a picture of the back if anyone wants to see how I did it. Just let me know and I will post a picture. So the (2) smaller hoops cost $2.47 each and the larger one about $4.00 (sorry I can't find the tag or my receipt). So about $9.00 for the frame. Then about 3 yards of fabric (I know it took a little more than 1/2 a yard of each of the 6, so being safe I would get 4 1/2 yards of fabric). I had gotten 6 yards because I am doing another project similar to this that I will be sharing. So total the project is based on the fabric deals you get. But if you are a bargan shopper you could probably have done this for around $20.00.



What do you think? Laci just loves it and calls it her Mickey Mouse clubhouse... This is a picture more for size than detail. It is huge! It goes from 2" below the ceiling to 2" above the mantle. My screw was too high to hang it there and take a picture, but my picture frame was in a perfect spot, so I used it's nail.



I am totally planning on making the large center wreaths for other holidays because it is just super cute. If I did it for other ones I would fill up more than one ring, but for this project one ring all the way around was fine.

I look forward to hearing what you think. Have a GREAT week!

TTFN~

11 comments:

  1. I love to go all out for my children's parties, too. It's nice to see someone is as crazy as me. I love all of your ideas. TFS with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to see a picture of the back of the wreath as you mentioned in the post. Did you only tie the strips on to one of the rings? I think that is what you meant at the bottom but I want to make sure because your wreath looks much fuller than I would think one full ring would look? This is adorable and I would love to make one of these. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, I just posted about your question and hopefully gave you pictures of what you were looking for... http://itssewstinkincute.blogspot.com/2011/07/mickey-wreath-question.html Have a great day! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing. Why am I just finding all of your fabulous ideas when my son's 1st birthday is this Sunday. And here I thought I went 'all out' for parties. You put me to shame. : ) Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi...I would love to know where you purchased the wire hoops from?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Purchased them from hobby lobby in the floral section...

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think this is so AWESOME!! my daughters having a bday coming up soon so i wana try this, what i dnt understand is how u got the wires to connect, if u could give me some more info i would appreciate it.
    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let me know if this post doesn't answer your questions... it was floral wire that I wrapped and wrapped and wrapped... :o)

    http://itssewstinkincute.blogspot.com/2011/07/mickey-wreath-question.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. So adorable! I'm definitely making one of these for my twin boys' birthday party in a couple of weeks. One question - how did you manage to get the fabric to not fray?? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It isn't touched or anything, just sits on the wall do it doesn't have a chance to fray. I didn't do anything special. Sorry I don't have a better tip for you. Hugs! Julie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are Sew Stinkin' Cute!