Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Unity Candle with Invite Wording

I am sure I have posted one of these before, but my family is very big on unity candles. In fact, we don't quite understand weddings that don't use them, I mean it symbolizes uniting the two individuals into a new family of their own. Sorry if I have just managed to offend 1/2 my readers. But with that being said I am the third generation on my mothers side that has learned how to do these.

They are tedious, and are purely a labor of love. We are talking start to finish at least 6-8 hours. This one took about 7.5 hours over a two day period. Everything from creating the wording, finding the right font (or one very close too it), hand stitching the pearls, putting the flowers on, to the outside layer of the candle. It's a lot of hands on work.

With that said, our unity candles are A LOT different than the normal ones you can buy at a Michael's or Hobby Lobby. They actually take the wording from the invite and through the magic (aka family secret). We build a candle that can either be plain or use the colors from the wedding around the wording. These are not a cheep thing to make and they also are very sentimental as they are probably the only way most people will get to see their invitation for years and years to come. I love having my unity candle, and the fact that it is a forever keepsake.

Ok I have babbled long enough. Laci is a flower girl for this wedding this weekend (I am sure I will share pictures as this is her first time). Without further mumbo jumbo... here is the candle I did for this weeks wedding.

Untitled

For the ceremony it will either sit on the wooden base we already gave them or a pillar at the church. Either way, it is pretty, I should have taken more views than this of it, but you get the idea. It's about 7 inches in diameter now that it is competed.

What do you think? I think it turned out to be one of the best ones I have ever done, but practice makes perfect right?!? Or so they say anyways...

TTFN~
Julie

4 comments:

  1. Thank's Misty... Laci is really excited! We went to the rehearsal last night and she was pretty stinkin cute walking down the path pretending to throw the flower petals. The location is just out in BFE, so last night we didn't get home until 10:30. Poor thing was a zombie when we got home. I am surprised she didn't sleep walk last night. Hope you are doing good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I clearly haven't been to your blog in a while, because I didn't know you had the new look. It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are Sew Stinkin' Cute!